Our School History
 
The first mention of a school in Orford was in 1869.  It was located on the cliffs at East Shelly Beach and catered for the children of the quarry workers.  It averaged about twenty-five students.  Throughout the years the school at Orford was opened and closed on many occasions.  Families came and went and often there were not enough children in the area to warrant a teacher. The quarry eventually closed.  In 1882 the name of the school was changed to Orford School and it was located in Walpole Street in an old building near the corner of Walpole and Charles Street.
 
A new school building was opened on our present site in 1920 but unfortunately, this was a time of low population and there were no pupils or teacher to move into it.  In 1924 it was finally occupied.  It was also used in 1925, 1930 and part of 1931.  After this the Education Department moved the building to Ravensdale.
Once this was done, there was a sudden influx of children!  The Orford Hall was built on school property with the current supper room being used as a classroom from 1934 until 1944.  In 1944 the room that is currently used as our library was built on the present site.
oldschool.jpg
 
In 1954 the numbers increased to 47 and Orford State School went from Grade 1 to Grade 9. The middle classroom, which is now used by the Grade 5/6s was built.  The room closest to Charles St (now the Grade 1/2 room) was built in 1963.  Everything that we have now has been built around these early classrooms or added to them.  We have also used two terrapin buildings as classrooms for a number of years.
 
Head Teachers and Principals*
 
1869 Mr Thomas and Mrs Susannah Fennell
1870 - 1872 Mr and Mrs Collis
1873 - 1879 Miss Anna Rosa Roblin (aka Mrs Rudd)
1880 Mrs Anna Rosa Rudd  (aka Miss Roblin    
1893  Mrs Helen McNeill
1894 - 1896 Mr Henry B J Lewis
1897 Mr J E Fitzpatrick         
1898 - 1899 Miss Harriet A Luttrell
1900 - 1901 Miss Smallhorn
1902  Miss Catherine Charpentier
1906 Miss Margaret R Blackett 
1907 - 1908 Miss Winifred B Carter
1908 - 1911 Miss Marion Harris
1913 - 1916 Miss Zillah Bellette
1916 - 1918 Miss Kathleen Bellette
1919 - 1920 Miss Mabel I Holmes
1924  Miss Cleta M Hall
1925 - 1926  Miss Lillian Greenland
1930 - 1931 Miss Margaret Latham
1933 - 1935 Mrs F Jean Hay
1935 Miss Creadon
1936 Mr Walter Langworthy
1937 Miss Ursula Walker
1937 - 1939 Mrs Josephine Hodgman
1939 - 1942 Miss Maud J Parsissons          
1942 - 1945 Miss Hilda W Burnley
1945 Mr Halsteen
1946 Mr H Digby Pridmore
1947 - 1948 Mr Claude O Glover
1949 Mr Noel W Pearce
1950 Mr Stanley J Lyall
1951 Mr David L Parker
1951 - 1952 Mr Donald G Clegg
1952 Mr Ernest Davies
1953 - 1955 Mr Ronald J Muir
1955 - 1956 Mr Eric G Clinton
1957 - 1964 Mr James A Smith
1965 - 1967 Mr John J de Freitas
1968 Mr Peter J Guy 
1969 Mr William E (Ted) Roberts
1970 Mr Jim Bryant
1971 - 1981 Mr Chris Duhig
1982 Mr John Read
1983 - 1985 Mr John Laing
1986 - 1988 Mrs Barbara Bound
1989 - 1995 Mr Kevin Treweek
1996 - 1998 Mr David Kilpatrick
1998 - 1999 Mr Steve Bowes
2000 - 2001 Mrs Diana Watson     
2001 -  2008 Mr Peter Castle
2009 - 2012 Mr Phillip Wells
2012 - Mrs Elizabeth Humphries
* Some of these have been Acting Principals.
 
A booklet has been written on the history of our school and many more details can be found there.  If you would like a copy please contact the school office or email Fran Read (fread@southcom.com.au